Saturday, November 15, 2014

Finding employment and having a college education.

 I am so tired of looking for work, where is this 6% unemployment that I am hearing about. I am being told Obama is a great president and that unemployment is the lowest its been in over a decade. But where are those jobs? I am highly employable, my only issue is, I do not have a 4 year degree. I am an Air Force veteran who served for 6 years as an Arabic linguist and Geospatial analyst. Shouldn't that count as a proxy 4 year degree. I learned more than most college student in those 6 years. But to all of America that doesn't matter, all that matters is whether or not I have a degree in anything. I could have a degree in Woman's Studies and get a job, with my experience, in the Department of Defense, as a contractor, doing what I used to do. They didn't care what schooling I had, just as long as I had some.
 How messed up is that, I am a highly intelligent person, I learned Arabic, all the multitudes of difficult software packages that come with being a Geospatial analyst, all without finishing a college degree. How amazing is it that you  have so many intelligent people doing work, creating business, running businesses, without having degrees. I have applied for work as a cellphone salesperson, I was turned down because one of the "requirements" was a degree. If anyone were to give me a chance I could prove that I can do just about. But since I do not have that mystical, wonderful thing that is a college degree, I will not be given that chance, and my choices of employment which I know I would excel at, and be a profit for any company willing to hire me.
 How did the world function before colleges, how did the people survive knowing that the person who was working for them, who was working on them, who was working with them did not know how to properly write a paper on 14th century history. I can understand schooling for highly technical jobs, but it does not need to be done in the way it is done now. What is the need for general education classes, electives. That seems like a way to make money for big education. Why not just go to college, higher education, for classes just for what you want to do? Why is there a 5th year of high school?
 Am I not smart enough, do I not have enough experience to even deserve a call back. I have applied to so many jobs, talked to so many employers and only a few time do I get an email, get a call or any feedback on my application. I have been interviewed 3 times of the hundreds of resumes and applications I have filled out. I am getting very depressed at the lack of any information.
 Once again, where is this economic bounce back that I am hearing of? I do not see it, or benefit from it.
 http://www.mynextmove.org/vets/profile/summary/27-3091.00 This is an explanation of my military skills translated by O-net.

No comments:

Post a Comment