Sunday, June 7, 2009

First blog, first page from my book.

Thank you for coming and reading, I will be introducing you to my new book. The part you are about to read is the introduction to the main characters.

From a young age I had always thought that there was something special in store for me, something that would happen to make me a hero, to make my name stand out among other men. I grew up as a normal boy with an imagination much larger than my life would ever allow me to fulfill. My nose was forever in books, reading of heroes and heroines, going on epic adventures saving worlds and countries from dire, evil villains.
Dreams were the only way that I could reach my hidden potential. In these dreams I saved beautiful princesses, and they showered me, as normal-looking a boy you would come across, the love that would normally be reserved for more handsome men.
It was because of these dreams that I felt that I was destined to be a hero, destined to find out that I was actually some prince, or descended from a hero who lived in a magical land unreachable by conventional means of travel. Whose inhabitants would send an emissary to recall me back to their land to save them from some great evil who, at first would seem invincible, and defeat me but not kill me, I would recover, learning my newfound skills and powers to the point where I would defeat the evil and save the land and live out my life in peace and treated as the hero.
Then I grew up, and realized that I was just the son of two normal parents, who are amazing people and heroes in their own right, who would never give me a magical sword, telling me of my magical ancestry. I still dreamed of those far off princesses, and the adventures I would have if I were that hero.
My life was about as normal as normal goes. Went through school unnoticed, did a few after school activites, hung out with the same group of friends every day. Graduated from high school, did a few college classes, dropped out after those few, and joined the military. While I was in the military my life changed drastically, after a couple of deployments, coming back to a regular life was more difficult than I could ever imagine. That's when all the weird stuff started happening.
I was tired of being alone, my family was on the other side of the continent, in California, and I was in Georgia. As I said before, I am plain, nothing special to look at, that and while I should have been developing social skills, I was reading and dreaming about going on magical adventures. So dating was out of the question. So i decided that getting a pet would be the next best thing.
The search for a pet was going slow, I didnt want to get something too big that would be a hassle for a single male living in a small apartment, and I didnt want to get something you would see a hair stylist carry around in a hand bag. Cats were out of the question, cats and I just didnt get along. I always ended up on the wrong side of their claws. I love dogs, specifically black labs, but they were a little too big for where I was living. I contemplated getting some sort of reptile, I really thought that Chinese Water Dragons look cool, but I wanted something that wouldnt scare away any future date I might have. So that put the nix on reptiles.
Just when I thought I would never find a suitable pet, I walked into an exotic pet store and in this cage; and just staring at me was a ferret. At first I thought he just turned to look when the bell over the door rang, but as I walked around the store, looking at the various birds, rabbits and other pets, I realized that he never, assumed that it was a he, took his eyes off me. I had never really though of getting a ferret for a pet, to me they seemed to be something an actor/actress gets to show off that they are exotic. My first choice would have been a Jack Russell Terrier, small dog yes, but not a prissy dog.

Well that is the first snippet of the book, sort of long, not much into the book as a whole, but I would like to know what you think of my writing style. I will add more later.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to read the rest. (So it must be okay.) And yeah, thanks for fixing the link.

    ReplyDelete