Sunday, June 14, 2009

Next couple paragraphs

Now to continue the book:
I turned on the television, it was on the evening news at the time, they were reporting on the latest celebrity scandal regarding her treatment of her children. I tuned the news out and sat back soaking in all that had happened. I saw Rylar staring intently at the screen, and reached over and pinched a little of his fur behind his front right leg.
-Ouch, what did you do that for?- He swiped at my hand as I quickly snatched it away.
I'm sorry I just wanted to see if you were real, this all seems a little surreal to me, I have never heard of anything like this happening before. You did say that you were sleeping.
-Well that is no reason to pinch me, how would you like it if I did that to you, and while I am sleeping in my world, I am still really here, wasn't that obvious by the fact that you had to buy me, you're welcome for getting fifty dollars knocked off the price. As well as your cute neighbor being able to see me.-
She is cute to you? I would've thought that you would be more interested in someone more.... well, more your type. At this point, I would like to apologize, I realize that I was catching on slowly to what was really going on, but really how often do you hold conversations with ferrets.
-More my type? Do you reallly think that I am always like this? When I am not asleep I am a just like you.-
I thought about this for a second, then it dawned on me. "So what you are saying is that you are my parallel universe self?" I asked "Is that how this works?"
-No, I only meant that I am human, just like you. We are of no relation other than this companionship.-
What does that mean, the companionship, how come I have never heard of this, why is this happening to me? I have always had a very good imagination; I pride myself on being able to see, vividly the lands of the books that I have read. Going along on the adventures that the heroes and heroines have, share the feelings of loss at the death of a friend, the jubilance at saving the day, defeating the enemy. I never thought that I would ever experience anything like the quests I had read about in these many books. But here you are, telling me that you are from some other Earth, saying that I will go with you, just like you are with me.
-All I know is that you are the one that I have been waiting for. There are stories of people on your side being put in asylums because of their outlandish stories of visiting other worlds while sleeping. So I am quessing that's why no one knows about this or has said anything about it. Don't worry about it though, nothing will happen to you over here, look at me, I have been sitting around waiting for you for 15 years. I am still here, still healthy, so don't worry about what it will be like.-
With that, I leaned back, turned my attention to the news and decided that although it may not be what I had dreamt about, it still was a break in the life that I had been living. I looked at the clock on the wall, saw that it was close to 8 o'clock and decided that I should eat some dinner. Rylar sat on the couch, eyes glued to the TV learning all about this world and what is going on here. I made myself some soup, grabbed a soda from the fridge and sat down and slurped at my meal.
The longer I thought about the chance to see a different world, albeit as a ferret, helped me to get over my initial concerns and fears of there actually being another world. I know that I had thought about going on adventures before, being a hero somewhere, being able to perform magic. I really wanted to see how the people lived on the other side, if they were just like me, if they had any weird animals, or other species like humans. Maybe they had elves, or dwarves, were there evil races like orcs, or goblins.
-Don't want to disappoint you, but its just humans.- Rylar told me as I was in the middle of thinking of an epic battle with me being a humanoid ferret, wielding a two-handed battle axe, chopping off orc heads and limbs with no abandon as elfin archers mow down column and row of goblins. Dwarves running through the enemies breaking kneecaps with their oversized, well oversized for dwarves, maces.
-There are no other species, and you will definitely not be human sized, you will be the normal size of a ferret, although as far as I know, you will be able to talk.-
Well that is still something magical I guess. How does it feel, is being in an animals' body weird? Do you have animal senses? I asked, hoping and praying that I will at least have improved smelling and senses, something to make it more interesting.
-Well, I do feel more curious than ever, its sort of hard to sit here without wanting to run off and explore the dark corners of your apartment, and please close the cupboard that you left open after getting the pan out for you soup, its cracked open, and I know that if I walk over there I could squeeze in, and it is distracting me from watching the viewer.-
We talked a little bit longer, mostly getting to know each other, we both had a lot of similarities. We both like to read, both liked sports although the sports that he told me about were like nothing I had ever heard before. He explained to me about (I dont have a name for this yet, if you have one, let me know), it is a game that sounded a lot like rugby, except it was played with teams either using magically or technologically enhanced bodies on a field 10 times the length of a football field, with a spherical ball six feet in diameter. The goal of the game is to smash your way down the field being able to kick or throw the ball to other players, and throw, or kick the ball through a hoop just 2 inches wider than the ball.
I noticed that it was getting close to 10 pm and I was starting to get tired, and Rylar yawned a tiny ferret yawn and suggested that it was time to go to sleep.
So when I go to sleep tonight, I will wake up in a ferret's body? And on your side? I asked.
-Yes, and we will meet again, in my world.-
So I went to the bathroom, took a shower and brushed my teeth. I didn't want to wake up in a dirty ferret body with bad breath. I walked to my bed, noticed that Rylar had already fallen asleep on my pillow. I moved the pillow to the side, grabbed another pillow closing my eyes as I pulled the blankets over me I saw that the clock read 11:12 and wondered what it would feel like waking up somewhere else.

And that is the end of the prologue. Once again, if you have a suggestion for the name of the sport, I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment