Saturday, June 13, 2009

Next Excerpt

Before I enter this next part, I just want to mention some of my concerns. One of my weak areas, that I believe, is my conversations between characters. If you have any suggestions about it, encouragement, anything just let me know.

As I was walking up the stairs my neighbor Jill was coming out of her apartment. Since moving in to the building, I had developed a huge crush on her. She was beautiful, brown hair, hazel eyes, I never asked her but I would have to guess she was about 5'3" with a slender, not skinny, build. But I have always been more attracted to short women. She looked at me and noticed that I was carrying a cage and yelled out to me, "So I see you finally found that pet you were looking for." As she got closer she saw that there was a half eaten cheeseburger in the cage with Rylar.
"I'm pretty sure that is not considered proper food for a ferret."
"Well I bought it for myself, but as I was taking the first bite out of it, he just looked up at me and sort of whimpered...
-I would never whimper-
...and I just couldn't have him staring at me so sadly, he seems to enjoy it."
"Well you are right, he does seem to enhoy it, and he is pretty cute, what is his name?"
"Rylar"
"That's a unique name, how did you come up with it?"
"It just seems to fit him. But hey, I am going to take him inside and help him get used to his new home."
Not wanting to have to explain anything else I told her goodbye and I walked into my small one bedroom apartment. I set his cage down on the coffee table as I walked into the kitchenette and poured myself a drink of tap water. My hand was shaking as I brought the glass up to my lips to take a drink. It is not every day that you come across a ferret who can read your mind, and speak to you in your mind.
I figure I should just get used to talking to you this way, so what exactly does all this mean, where did you come from, why was I the one you were waiting for?
-Well I am from Earth, I am your companion, familiar, friend whatever you want to call it. We are special as in there are not many people like us who exist in the world. I am your key into my world.-
My key into your world? What are you talking about, I thought you said you were from Earth.
-I am from Earth, but it is a different Earth than this one. I don't really know how to explain it, only that I can only reach this side while I am sleeping, and that I have been waiting for you to find me. I have been waiting for you for the past 15 years. When I told you that I hated the other food that I was fed before, I wasn't kidding, every few years I would change. My first time showing up on this side I was a Pomeranian.-
I am glad I didn't find you then, I would've just walked right by, even if you had tried to get my attention.
-Ha ha, very funny, next I was a tabby, then a black lab and most recently I was this form. Which I haven't seen yet, could you let me out of this cage? I promise I am well behaved. I just want to see what I look like.-
I walked over to the cage, opened the door and reached in to pull him out, he was soft and warm. I put him down on the couch next to me, he jumped down from the couch and ran away. I chased after him and found him sitting on the bathroom counter, admiring himself in the mirror.
-I have to admit, I do like this form the best, and I am sure that you will be just as pleased.-
What are you talking about? I will be just as pleased?"
-Oh sorry, I am getting ahead of myself. As I have said before, I get to this side through sleep. Well now that I have found you, every time you sleep, from now on, you will accompany me to my world. But you will be the one who looks like a ferret.-
WHAT, I don't want to dream of being a ferret, why do I have to be a ferret!
-It's part of the agreement we have, part of the heritage that we share, being companions, and you wont actually be dreaming it.-
I don't remember making any sort of an agreement with you. I just wanted a pet, I just wanted some company.
-Well, that is what I am. I am your companion, I will keep you company, better than any other "pet".-
He then jumped off the counter and walked away, if ever a ferret looked disgusted, this was that time. I followed him back to the living room where I found him sitting on the sofa studying my humble abode.
-Is that some sort of viewer? I can't seem to turn it on, how do you turn it on.-
That is called a television and you have to use the remote.

Well, stay tuned for more thoughts, and more of my book. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment